Join our team!
Sailing & Boating Program Director
PBCB seeks an experience Sailing & Boating Program Director who will continue to develop our programs and reputation, and serve in a leadership role in the management of the daily operations of the boating programs. The Sailing & Boating Director is responsible to facilitate our mission and for the overall design, operation and instruction of the boating programs and waterfront activities in accordance with the policies and directions of the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
He or she will be required to recruit, hire, train and supervise all program staff and have strong sailing and teaching experience. The ideal candidate must be organized, professional, proactive, hands on, and must work well with our membership & volunteer community. This position requires balancing off the water and on-water responsibilities and properly managing daily operations.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Four years of experience as a head sailing instructor for a comprehensive sailing program.
- Thorough knowledge of small boat sailing, racing skills, seamanship, small powerboat handling and sportsmanship.
- US Sailing certification Level 1, current CPR and First Aid Certificates.
- Experience with adaptive sailing and paddling programs.
- Recruite, hire, train and supervise all sailing instructors and staff, and coordinate orientation and training program with staff prior to program season.
- Supervise all boating program activities and ensure safety for all participants.
- Manage all administrative aspects of program operations, including keeping up to date records, supervising and directing sailing staff in record keeping, attendance records, performance ratings and medical forms for all students and staff and ensure adherence to all policies and guidelines
- Oversee sailing and boating safety program including supervision of instructors and students.
- Impolement and administer achievement testing program.
- Oversee power, sail boat and equipment maintenance program and monitor PBCB’s fleet maintenance needs and compliance.
- Coordinate with Science Program Director and staff on boating activities related to marine education and environmental stewardship programs and activities.g
- Develop and execute special events, programming and trips.
- Assist in the creation of new and expanded in season, shoulder season and off-season programs to broaden the constituencies that PBCB serves on a year-round basis and develop associated curriculum.
- Assist in developing an annual work plan and budget. Review financial reports, provide updates to the Board of Directors and recommend adjustments necessary to ensure sound operations.
Governance, Reporting Structures & General Responsibilities:
The Sailing & Boating Director reports directly to the Executive Director, who is the Chief Executive Officer of Pleasant Bay Community Boating. The current Sailing Director is retiring and will be available for transitional assistance.
The Sailing Director is expected to work full-time Monday through Friday, and occasionally on Saturday and Sunday from May through September, plus approximately some hours in the off-season for hiring, planning, scheduling and attending meetings. The staff reporting directly to the Sailing Director consists of a seasonal Assistant Sailing Director and approximately 25 part-time seasonal employees.
Additional Specific Responsibilities:
- Oversee the delivery and quality of PBCB’s sailing & boating programs
- Represent PBCB to the community, private and public funding sectors, partners, and the general public.
- Build relevant partnerships with corporate, civic, municipal, and other organizations
Tentative Start Date: Feb 1 2019
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, and Salary Expectations to:
Abigail Field, Development Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Pleasant Bay Community Boating // PO Box 21// North Chatham, MA 02650
Summer Mate, Maintenance & Scheduler for new 37’ Electric Pontoon Boat Full-Time Summer Position (East Harwich, MA):
Pleasant Bay Community Boating is seeking a mature, personable, and safety-oriented Mate and Steward to maintain, schedule, and work aboard our new Floating Classroom Research Vessel (FCRV). The 37’ pontoon boat is outfitted with 2 Torqeedo electric motors, basic navigation equipment, a 15’ lab table, and an open foredeck work area used for research and education within the greater Pleasant Bay waterways. The Mate will work closely with the Science Program Director, Sailing Director and vessel Captains to plan and deliver safe and fun water-based experiences. No sailing experience necessary although there is the opportunity to learn. The successful candidate must be available from mid-June to Sept 1, there is the possibility to extend the position part-time in the Fall and Spring. PBCB’s 3.6 acre waterfront campus is located on the largest estuary on Cape Cod and offers affordable summer sailing and marine education programs for all ages and capabilities. See website: www.pbcb.cc
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinate shipboard activities on the FCRV including scheduling and tracking Captain availability.
Assist with docking & mooring the FCRV, all shipboard activities, safety protocols, team with Captain and teachers to make the excursions fun.
Tend to small daily sailboat and motorboat repairs as needed.
Meet students and assist with boat safety instructions, student questions and operation issues during vessel excursions.
Must be organized, answer phone requests regarding the FCRV, and possess good interpersonal skills.
A year or more of small-boat operations.
Comfort with small repairs, power tools, and ability to trouble shoot basic boat problems.
Comfort with mentoring youth and offering leadership skills.
Ability to learn the operation of the FCRV and successfully dock and moor the vessel safely with practice.
Ability to lift 60 pounds.
Undergraduate degree in-progress in a related Marine Technician subject
US Coast Guard certificate
Current First-Aid certificate
May use sailboats, kayaks and sail boards when off duty.
Working Conditions: Office, outdoors, and on-the-water environment
Location: Pleasant Bay Community Boating, 2287 Route 28, Harwich, MA
Dates: Mid-June to September 1, 2018, possibly part-time in Fall and following Spring. One or two training days in early June.
Days/Hours: Monday and Friday 8:30-12PM, 1:30-4PM, periodic Saturdays, and full or half days-off (negotiable)
Pay: Commensurate with experience
Send resume to the Science Program Director: email@example.com and include the email addresses of 3 references. Subject: PBCB Mate Position
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the candidate will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.