We Love Optis!
Last spring, we brought two Optimist prams that were in the rafters back to life. It was not long before a few of our instructors, like Eddie Goggin, and some of our little skippers were reliving a faint memory or experiencing an exciting, new to them, sensation. Afterall, the single-handed “Opti” truly is sensational for when you climb in one… you are in command! What this means is you are the skipper, you are the crew, and you need to learn what makes a boat sail and fast. A tiller extension and hiking straps allow a young sailor to “hike out”. This can be crucial to maintaining the boat in near horizontal disposition during heavy air, allowing greater speed through the water. What a blast!
It registered very quickly, that if PBCB could organize a small fleet it would make an ideal transition boat between our Flying Scots, Sunfish, 420’s. The Opti is no slouch, due to its inherent stability, unstayed rig, robust construction and relatively small sail, the boat can sail in winds of up to 20 knots.
The word got out through social media and by summers end, we received donations of five of these late model dinghies and parts in decent shape. So, the PBCB Optimist Pram program is born and we now offer afternoon Optimist classes three day per week. These sessions will build on the elements of the rules of the road, fleet racing, with the goal of learning basic team racing, 3 on 3. We are really looking forward to making this tick.
Registration opens February 1st!
Our Sailing and Science Day Camp is Cape Cod kids’ home away from home. Long summer days of adventures with friends on Pleasant Bay.
Monday through Friday
9am to 4pm
June 29 – August 28 for 9 full weeks
Days will be filled with progressive sailing instruction, hands-on aquaculture education, science projects, and plenty of nature and wildlife discovery.
We have designed a program that is reminiscent of old fashioned coastal New England summer camps, and we are committed to affordability. Make your kids’ or grandkids’ summer plans now, and be ready to register on February 1st!
PBCB has a fascinating Speaker Series planned for 2019. Subjects range from climate change and sea level rise to the effects of nitrogen-loading on area waters. Don’t miss it!
All talks start at 4:30pm in our Hillside Center. Donations suggested!
Please reserve your seat here:
- Friday, July 12
- The Gray Curtain: Impact of Seals, Sharks and Commercial Fishing, by Peter Trull (Curriculum Director, Pleasant Bay Community Boating; Bird Expert; Author)
- Friday, August 9
- Mission to Save the Right Whale: Technology to Reduce Harm to Marine Mammals, by Richard Reils & Kevin Rand (Founder & Technical Development, SMELTS — Sea Mammal Education Learning Tech Society)
- Friday, September 6
- Earth’s Last Frontier: Accessing the Deep Sea with Robots, by Andy Bowen (Director, National Deep Submergence Facility, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute)
- Friday, October 11
- Beneath the Surface, by John Pappalardo (Executive Director, Cape Cod Commercial Fishermen’s Alliance)
- Friday, October 25
- Cape Cod: A “Front row” Seat for Climate Change Impacts, by Richard F. Delaney (President, CEO, Center for Coastal Studies)
- Friday, November 8
- A New Program Just for You: Saving Energy, Money, and the Earth, by Maggie Downey (Compact Administrator, Cape Light Compact)
- Friday, December 6
- Sustaining Pleasant Bay, by Mon Cochran, PhD (President, Friends of Pleasant Bay; Director, Cape Cod Climate Change Collaborative)